Podcast Episode #61: Why the Current Mental Health is Failing to Help People
Mental Health issues are not on the rise- rather it is the mismanagement of mental health that is increasing.
In this episode I discuss why the current mental health system is failing to help people, and what we can do about this. I also discuss psychotropic medication, and how fo find healing if you struggle with mental ill-health. This is the second podcast in my Perfect You series.
**This is informative and NOT individual medical advice.
**DRUG WITHDRAWAL should ALWAYS be done under the supervision of a qualified professional. These drugs alter your brain chemistry, and withdrawal can be a difficult process. There are thousands of patient-run sites on withdrawal from psychoactive substances on the Internet, and many books available in stores and online. We suggest you begin looking at the resources page on Mad in America. Dr. Peter Breggin also has a brilliant book on withdrawal: Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal: A Guide for Prescribers, Therapists, Patients, and Their Families: https://breggin.com/a-guide-for-prescribers-therapists-patients-and-their-families/
**For general information on the current state of psychiatry please visit http://www.madinamerica.com.
**To report any adverse psychotropic drug effects you have experienced, and for more detailed individual drug information, please visit https://rxisk.org/
The SWITCH app is coming to iTunes and Google Play early 2019!!
For more info on my new app SWITCH go to: https://theswitch.app. get 30% off a year subscription when you pre-order today: http://theswitch.app/promo/
**Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get even more tips, updates, specials, and more: https://drleaf.com
About the Mental Health Initiative and January Perfect You Book Club:
I am making 2019 the year of mental health! Each month I will tackle a specific problem, issue, and concept related to mental ill health. I will be discussing major issues in the current mental health system AND how to find healing for yourself or a loved one.
Starting this January we will be tackling the issue of identity in my PERFECT YOU book club!
Why is identity important? Why is it the first step to your mental health makeover? Understanding your identity and knowing who you are enbles you to take control over your life and health. Understanding your identity gives you hope to change and motivation to stay strong when times get tough. Once you learn how your unique mind works, you will begin to understand how to make positive changes in your life.
So how does this January book club work?
1. You will need to get my book THE PERFECT YOU (on sale now for $12.99, so you save 35%: https://store.drleaf.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-perfect-you) which is also available on Kindle and Audible.
2. I will be doing a YouTube Live once a week to answer questions and go over several key concepts:
YOUTUBE LIVE SCHEDULE
Week One (Jan 4th 10am CT): Chapter 1-3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62zDofq-gU
Week Two (Jan 11th 10am CT): Chapter 4-5
Week Three (Jan 18th 10am CT): Chapter 6-7
Week Four (Jan 31st 10am CT): Chapter 8-10
Like all book clubs, if you read the assigned chapters before the YouTube live it will make each session even more meaningful so be sure to read the related chapters before each YouTube session!
If you can’t make the YouTube live don’t worry! The session will be available on my YouTube channel for you to watch anytime.
*Email us your questions about the assigned chapters at email@example.com in advance of the YouTube live date.
3. I will be doing weekly podcasts related to THE PERFECT YOU, mental health, and identity so be sure to subscribe to my podcast (available on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube): https://drleaf.com/media/podcasts/.
4. I will also be doing a weekly blog on concepts and ideas related to THE PERFECT YOU, mental health, and identity: https://drleaf.com/blog/.
5. Follow me on social media to get daily tips and information related to THE PERFECT YOU, mental health, and identity:
Facebook: Dr. Caroline Leaf
6. Get a team together! Community is essential when it comes to improving our mental health, so plan a date with a few friends and work through the Perfect You together!
*Be sure to tag me in group pictures you post to social media so I can repost and share them!
7. If you would like to go more in-depth on the concepts I cover in THE PERFECT YOU, and do an online gift profile quiz, check out my online program The Perfectly You (https://perfectlyyou.com). You can also order the Perfect You workbook and DVD which is not required but will definitely help enhance you experience and help you understand the more tricky concepts: https://store.drleaf.com/collections/product-combo-deals/products/the-perfect-you-bundle.